Advanced Diploma in Cardiac Emergency
(N/722/5/0022) 11/23 (MQA/PA 11767)
Advanced Diploma in Cardiac Emergency Programme (ADCME) is a skill-based higher learning programme that implements a one (1) year full time academic calendar with three (3) semesters. Each semester will be conducted within a 17 weeks period. This programme is structured with regards to standard guidelines of Malaysian Nursing Board and provisionally accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA/PA 11767).
The management of emergency client is an integral part in healthcare practices. Hence this programme prepares students to care clients with cardiac and emergency competencies based on theoretical and clinical subspecialty. Through this program, the student will be able to demonstrate the skills and competencies necessary for safe management of patients presenting to the emergency department with life threatening arrhytmias.
The program introduces students with advanced principles of emergency in cardiac and medical services, pathophysiology of various emergency conditions, diagnostic techniques, evidence based professional practices, cardiac assessments and triaging, Pre Hospital Care management, basic echocardiogprahy, paeditric heart diseases emergencies, pharmacological management, rapid resuscitation and post resuscitation management, Principle of Respect for autonomy, legal & ethical issues for paramedics during cardiac arrest and witnessed is also emphasized.
This advanced programme allows students to enhance their knowledge in a collegial environment under the supervision of committed trained professionals in specialized clinical placements. Upon completion of the programme students will be equipped with advanced skills and knowledge of highest quality care for cardiac and medical emergency clients. It will enhance their leadership qualities, communication skills, teamwork during resuscitation and critical thinking abilities.
PROGRAMME EDUCATIONAL OUTCOMES
The objectives of the programme are:
- Transform current scientific and technological knowledge and skills required for the applications of quality cardiac emergency.
- Excel in management and leadership abilities by inculcating critical thinking decision making and communication skills with team work based on integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement through self-directed and social learning for personal and professional development.
- Utilize IT effectively and in obtaining evidence based practice information for clients care.
- Advocate positive attitudes based on value and ethics necessary in fulfilling his/her responsibilities towards the clients and society.
For Local Students
- Possess minimum Diploma (MQF, Level 4) in Medical Assistance recognized by Medical Assistant Board; OR
- Possess minimum Diploma (MQF, Level 4) in Paramedic from recognized Malaysian institution; OR
- Possess minimum Diploma (MQF, Level 4) in Nursing recognized by Malaysian Nursing Board; OR
- Minimum one (1) years working experience
- Possess 3 months experience in the related specialty
For International Students
- Possess Diploma (MQF, Level 4) in Medical Assistance from recognized institution; OR
- Possess Diploma (MQF, Level 4) in Paramedic from recognized institution; OR
- Possess Diploma (MQF, Level 4) in Nursing form recognized institution; OR
- Possess a current Temporary Practicing Certificate (TPC) from Nursing Board Malaysia (NSM) prior clinical placement;
- Minimum of one (1) year clinical working experience in related specialty; OR
- Possess three (3) months experience in the related specialty;
- Pass International English Language Test Services (IELTS) with a minimum of 5.5 or Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum of 515/215/80
- Students must be certified medically fit by Registered Medical Practicioner recognized by the recruiting institution
- Students with the following medical conditions of HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B or C, any mental health disorders, epilepsy and other chronic diseases will not be admitted into the programme
- Students must not have any physically or impaired senses that hinders nursing dexterity.
Duration of Studies
1 year (3 Semesters)
- Lectures and Tutorial
- Clinical Placement
- CICU- Cardiothoracic
- High Dependency Unit (HDU) Cardiothoracic
- CCU- Cardiology
- High Dependency Unit (HDU) Cardiology & Cardiothoracic
- Counselling Unit
- Observation and Emergency (O&E) Department
- Cardiac Wards
- Rehabilitation Unit
- Infection Control Unit
- Invasive Cath Lab (ICL)
- Non-Invasive Cardiac Lab (NCL)
- Cardiothoracic Intensive Care Unit (CICU)
- Operation Theater (OT)