Medical Assistants work closely with Medical Officers in most units at hospitals. IJN College offers a three (3) year Diploma in Medical Assistant which will enables students to realize their dreams in pursuing a career in a healthcare setting. This programme aims to prepare competent Assistant Medical Officers (AMOs) who possess the skill and evidence-based knowledge to carry out their duties safely and comprehensively both to the patient as well as to the community, in accordance to ethics and rules. It enables graduates to diagnose health condition through appropriate examination and investigation and deliver treatments and other actions successfully.
The objectives of programme are:
- To prepare knowledgeable, safe and competent practitioners in medical and health sciences.
- To inculcate professional attitudes, ethical conducts and social responsibilities among graduates.
- To prepare graduates who are creative, innovative, sensitive and responsive towards the community, culture and environment.
- To equip graduates with most recent and latest clinical skills, technical skills, scientific skills and problem-solving skills.
- To equip graduates with relevant Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills and entrepreneurial skills.
Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM)
- Passed Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) or its equivalent with a minimum of 5 (five) credits in the following subjects:
- Bahasa Malaysia
- 2 (two) from either Science or Mathematics subject (Biology/Chemistry, General Science/Applied Sciences, Mathematics/Additional Mathematics) preference 1 from each category of subject and
- 2 (two) from any other subjects
- Pass in English (preference to be given to those with credit in English); OR
2. Passed Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) or its equivalent with a minimum of 3 (three) credits in the following subjects:
- Bahasa Malaysia
- 1 (one) from Mathematics or Science subjects (Biology/Chemistry, General Science/Applied Sciences, Mathematics/Additional Mathematics)
- 1 (one) from any other subjects
- Possess a certificate in related field from a recognized programme by government of Malaysia (Community Nurse, Dental Surgery Assistant, Public Health Assistant, Health Sciences Certificate) AND
- Pass in English (preference to be given to those with credit in English).
GCE/O-Level or equivalent
GCE-O Level or equivalent with 5 (five) credits in the following subjects:
- 2 (two) from science or Mathematics subject (Biology/Physics/Chemistry/General Science);
- 3 (three) from any other subjects AND
- Pass in English
Note: Malaysian citizen are required to pass in Bahasa Malaysia at Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia level for the purpose of registration with Medical Assistant Board (MAB) in Malaysia.
Students shall be certified medically fit by a registered medical practitioner recognized by the recruiting institution and free from:
- Mental illness
- Physical and sensory disability
- Infectious diseases (HIV-AIDS, Hepatitis B and C, etc.)
- Genetic diseases
- Drug abuse
Duration of Studies
3 years (6 Semesters)
Mode of Study
Full time (Coursework)
Method of Learning and Teaching
- Lectures and Tutorial
- Practical, Science Laboratory, Clinical Ward and Computer Laboratory
- Clinical Attachment
- Registration Fee – RM 1000
- Tuition Fee – RM
- Medical Assistant
- Assistant Medical Officers (AMO) in public and private hospitals/clinics
- Outpatient care centers, nursing and residential care facilities
- Offices of physicians
- Other health care practitioners
- Graduates will also be able to pursue further studies in Health Studies, Health Education and any health-related fields