Advanced Diploma in Paediatric Cardiac Nursing Programme (ADPCN) is a skill based higher learning programme that implements a one (1) year full time academic calendar with three (3) semesters. Each semester will be conducted within a 17 weeks period. This programme is structured with regards to standard guidelines of Malaysian Nursing Board and provisionally accredited by Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA/PA 9192).
The management of paediatric critically ill patients is an integral part in healthcare practices. This programme prepares students to care patients with cardiac congenital disorders based on theoretical and clinical subspecialty. The program introduces students with: pathophysiology of various congenital cardiac conditions, cardiovascular assessment from a medical and nursing perspective, risk stratification, early and advanced treatment for congenital cardiac diseases, diagnostic techniques, evidence based professional practices, rehabilitation processes, pharmacological management and medical and surgical interventions for the congenital disorders.
This advanced programme allows students to enhance their knowledge in an educational environment, under the supervision of committed trained professionals in specialized clinical placements. Upon completion of the programme students will be equipped with advanced skills and knowledge of safest and highest quality care for cardiac congenital patients. It will enhance their nursing professionalism with leadership qualities, communication skills, teamwork and critical thinking abilities.
- Transform current scientific and technological knowledge and skills required for the applications of quality paediatric cardiac nursing care
- Excel in management and leadership abilities by inculcating critical thinking decision making and communication skills with team work based on integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrate continuous improvement through self-directed and social learning for personal and professional development.
- Utilize IT effectively and in obtaining evidence based practice information for clients care.
- Advocate positive attitudes based on value and ethics necessary in fulfilling his/her responsibilities towards the clients and society.
- Possess minimum Diploma in Nursing
- Registered with Nursing Board Malaysia (NBM);
- Possess a current Annual Practicing Certificate (APC) for nurses;
- Minimum 2 years clinical working experiences; and
- Possess 3 months experience in the related speciality
For International Students
- Intake upon full accreditation from MQA
- Estimated to be offered in FY 2020
- Students must be certified medically fit by Registered Medical Practicioner recognized by the recruiting institution
- Students with the following medical conditions of HIV/AIDS, Hepatitis B or C, any mental health disorders, epilepsy and other chronic diseases will not be admitted into the programme
- Students must not have any physically or impaired senses that hinders nursing dexterity.
Duration of Studies
1 year (3 Semester)
- Lectures and tutorials
- Clinical Placement
- Registration Fee – RM 1,000
- Tuition Fee – RM 25,000
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Pharmacology and Biochemistry
- Pain Management, Communication and Counseling
- Haemodynamic Monitoring & Electrocardiography
- TITAS or Bahasa Melayu Komunikasi
- Clinical Practice 1
- Safety and Infection Control
- Paediatric Cardiac Diagnostic (Invasive, Non-Invasive & Imaging)
- Core Concepts in Paediatric Cardiology and Nursing Management
- Paediatric Cardiovascular and Thoracic Nursing Management
- Clinical Practice 2 and 3
- Research Method for Evidence Based Nursing
- Paediatric Electrophysiology and Paediatric Advanced Life Support
- Perbankan Takaful dan Kewangan Islam
- Hubungan Etnik or Malaysia study
- Clinical Practice 4 and 5
- Paediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
- Paediatric Congenital Intensive Care Unit (PCICU)
- High Dependency Area (HAD) Paediatric Ward
- Counselling Unit
- Observation and Emergency (O&E) Department
- Paediatric Wards
- Invasive Cath Lab (ICL)
- Non-Invasive Cardiac Lab (NCL)
- Rehabilitation Unit
- Infection Control Unit
- Operation Theater (OT)